Here’s the Imperial Car Supermarket’s top tips for driving in cold weather.
Keep yourself warm, all of these could be life savers if you get stuck in a Winter traffic jam
- Wear (or take) a thick coat, scarf, gloves and a hat
- Ladies, you might consider popping a jumper & trousers in the boot – imagine being at a stand still for hours wearing a dress!
- Sensible shoes or boots – handy if you have to get out and walk
- A warm blanket
Don’t forget your phone!
- Take your mobile phone on every journey – make sure it is charged - an in-car charger would be a good investment.
Essentials to store in your Car
- A spade
- A piece of carpet or cat litter could get you out of snow, put it as close to the tyres as possible to create some grip
- A jerry can of fuel
- Adult high visibility vest - sounds extreme but keeps you safe!
- A torch
- Keep some food in the car for emergencies. Chocolate and crisps are handy as they are high in calories and can be stored for long periods.
- Bottled water is essential
Last but definitely not least Prepare Your Car for Winter
- Top up the anti-freeze, ensure it is mixed to the right concentration to prevent serious damage to your engine
- Keep your screen wash filled
- Covering your windscreen overnight can prevent lots of ice scraping in the morning
- Squirt a little WD40 into your door locks to stop them from freezing up
- Keep your petrol tank topped up